Thursday, November 18, 2010

2nd best

In life, we will all encounter failure(s) at a certain point in time. An individual who has always been winning or has been successfully may not know how to accept defeat or how to handle it.

I recently read on the papers 2 differect individuals who faced defeat in that sense. How did they react to it and can we draw some logical conclusion / lessons from their reaction?

I shall not name names here but one wept bitterly after losing. There was nothing much the person can do but cry... It's a release of emotions, not necessarily a bad thing. However, after that, what should the person do? Keep on fighting? Or retreat and re-evaluate?

There is a school of though that promotes the "never-say-die" attitude. Keep fighting and keep pressing on until you see the results. Well, I personally think that this type of mentality depends on situation. Fight on if you know that it is your strength or rather, you are battling in your field of expertise. If it is a foreign ground, then move on. It may not be your playground afterall.

Then I noticed another individual. He was not promoted to be the big boss of a huge company and he chose to leave the company altogether. Was he foolish? Is he a person who possess no tenacity? Gives up easily? I do not think so. I think it is wise to know which are the battles that are for you and which are the ones that you must engage in and fight to the end.

There are certain things that one do not have a choice. Must fight on. Basically, there are no other options. However, there are also back-up plans that one can fall on. In such situations, think, plan, seek counsel and see if the battle is worth the effort. Else, move on and go conqueur land that is more suited for you. Do not fight a losing battle. You may succeed in the end, but at what cost? Why operate the concord when it is not cost-effective. There are certain things, we just need to achieve it once and that's it. Move on.

As I begin to reflect on this, I am reminded of my IPPT silver that I got when I was serving my NS. I'm not a physical hunk and will not consider physical fitness to be my strength. While all things are possible to those who believe, it will be an uphill task for me to achieve something in that area as conpared to other individuals who have a natural flare for it. I'm glad I didn't sign-on or else I will be struggling. That is not my strength.

So in everything we do, focus on what we are good at. However, we need to know what we are bad at too so that we can avoid the situation that we need to utilise that skill set. Move in the direction of your strength and you will be much appreciated. Moving upwards will also be easier....

No comments: