Thursday, January 8, 2009

Foreigners in SG

It's back to this problem once again.. Foreigners in SG. Last night, on my way back home, I saw this Indian/Bangla worker just throwing a bottle of ABC stout after finishing it on the grass patch. I was just a few steps behind him. I of course didn't want to confront him as firstly, he may be drunk, secondly, if i really fight with him, I'll dirty my hands. So, just walk off and wait for the bangla cleaner to pick it up next morning before some other drunk bangla uses it as a weapon in one of their fights.

On the way to work on the MRT, I was seating down and I fell asleep. At my destination, I woke up to see a very dusty construction worker sitting beside me and he's sleeping too. I got off and realised that my nice clean working pants was stained by his sandy pants. From the looks of it, it must have been unwashed for 3 days at least. Cos when I was in the army, it took me about 5 days to reach that state of dirtiness. Goodness, I had a hard time cleaning it up before appearing in office that morning. Yet again, another social problem that foreigners bring to Singapore. This time round, it's a Chinaman. Haiz.

With this, I wondered... Instead of complaining, what kind of solution can I think of to resolve this problem.....

Walaaa.. I got it. Actually PAP is really smart. I mean the Singapore government is really number 1. It's simple. See, last time we use to have all those clean and green campaign but now, no more. Why? It's pointless. These foreigners will not change. Firstly, they will come and go. Secondly, they may not be keen to learn anyway. So gone are the days where Singapore prides herself as the cleanest green city. People just throw beer bottles anywhere. I've seen foreigners peeing in public in Jurong area too. Actually, the cost of a Bangla may not be that cheap after all, cos I reckon for every 10 banglas employed, you'll need to hire a cleaner to clean their shit (hopefully not literally).If a bangla cost 1000 a month, it's actually 1,100 a month if you factor in the cleaner. That is assuming the cleaner is a Bangla too, what if he's more expensive? So there are other cost that employers didn't factor in. And also the drop in Singapore's reputation leading to declining tourism? The lost in revenue for that? Already the Tourism industry in Singapore is not doing as well as before.

So what is the solution? We know that Singapore cannot survive without foreigners.. The solution I thought of is.... to.... promote ITE! We make it glamourous so that more Singaporeans will take on manual jobs in the future and the reliance on foreigners workers will fall. That solves it... With more people taking lower jobs, Singapore might still make it in 10-20 years to come. And that is precisely what the Sg Govt is doing. Took at how well the ITEs are marketted. Even for other CMI institutions, it's the same as well.. That's he way man. I use think it's a waste of time and resources to market so well just to boost their ego and keep these street kids out of trouble and untimately save on the resources needed to build boy homes and jailhouses. But I was too small minded. Didn't see the bigger picture. This is the bigger picture...

No comments: